PROGRAM ASSISTANT (PA) PROGRAM
Our Program Assistants (PAs) are very important to the success of our CanSkate Program (basic skating). Upon the successful completion of a training program, the PAs work alongside our professional Coaches to help deliver quality programs as mandated by Skate Canada.
We are fortunate to have a dedicated, enthusiastic group of Program Assistants who volunteer their time and act as exceptional role models for our younger skaters.
If you are interested in becoming a Program Assistant, please contact:
Kate McGrath (MacDonald) - SFSC CanSkate Coordinator email@example.com (588) 223-8204
INFORMATION ABOUT PA PROGRAM:
Program Assistant: Must be must be 12 years old and a member of the Springbank FSC. Our Jr. Program Assistance’s (who must be 11 years old) also attended our mandatory training session and are paired with the Program Assistants during their 1 year training time.
All Program Assistants must attend a mandatory training session.
CanSkate sessions during the skating season are as follows:
- Thursday, 5:30 – 6:15 pm
- Saturday, 9:15 – 10:00 am
Under the coaches’ direction, Program Assistant duties include:
- greeting parents and skaters
- helping the skaters onto the ice
- participating warmup and cool down activities
- handing out reward
- setting up and taking down equipment
- assisting skaters as directed by a professional coach
Program Assistants are expected to be attentive, responsive, and respectful at all times.
Informal evaluations will be provided to Program Assistants, providing constructive criticism to help them improve their skills. Evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- provides both group and individual feedback
- group management skills
- keeps group on task
- maintains control
- leads activities with enthusiasm and a sense of fun
- exhibits patience
- demonstrates effectively
- sets up equipment
- sets up circuits
- ensures safety
- creates fun activities
- puts equipment away
- participates in theme days
- is punctual
- is willing to take on additional tasks
- is an effective role model
- follows instruction
- takes initiative to solve problems